Of all the countries we’ve visited on this adventure, Colombia always elicits the most curiosity from the people we talk to. It has an almost mystical, forbidden quality. People know it’s a beautiful Caribbean paradise, but its violent history has left it off the beaten path for tourists until fairly recently.
Here are a few things you may not know about Colombia:
- It’s spelled Colombia, with two ‘O’s, despite its namesake Christopher Columbus.
- It shares land borders with 5 countries, including Panama, but there are no roads connecting these two countries. This missing 100km section of the Pan-American highway is called the Darien Gap.
- It’s mandatory for public radio and television to play the national anthem twice a day at 6 am and 6 pm.
- 20% of the worlds butterfly species are found in Colombia.
- During the height of his rule, Pablo Escobar collected up to $420 million dollars a week. Also, he once offered to pay off Colombia’s National debt of $10 billion dollars!
No matter what your pre-conceived notions might be, we can guarantee that if you ever travel to Colombia you’ll be pleasantly surprised.
0 comments on “Colombia Photo Journal”